David:

There's lots of material on the web about .NET.  Check out
http://www.aspng.com/learn/differences.aspx for a quick primer.

I suppose the answer to your question depends on what you mean by playing
nice with each other.  With the added step of source compilation along with
a host of other programmer-centric improvements to ASP.NET, I think we're
seeing Microsoft positioning ASP.NET as a real industrial-grade alternative
to JSP/Java servlets.  Really nice stuff; every ASP programmer I've worked
with is just raving about .NET, and I agree that it's a compelling upgrade
to make if you're an ASP shop.  You can do lots of things with the new
library that were only possible before in classic ASP with add-on
components.

What were you curious about specifically?  In theory, since .NET is very
XML-centric (albeit of the SOAP variety), data exchange between .NET servers
and Cold Fusion servers should be easy enough.  Of course, using a common
database would remove the problem entirely.

Alex Nguyen