Hi All,
I just had a very disturbing conversation with Macromedia.  We have been
running CF/Apache on Windows for about 2.5 year now and developing on Cold
Fusion since the 1.5 days (cgi only).  Version 1.3.20 of Apache for Win32
(which has been available for over 6 months) is the first that Apache.org
says is stable (not that there have been problems with the old versions).
It has made available an enhanced API (EAPI) but modules need to be compiled
with EAPI support.  Unfortunately the existing Cold Fusion module for Apache
on Win32 uses the standard API.  I spoke with Macromedia in an effort to get
an EAPI build of the module and was informed that they have no plans to
compile an EAPI version of the module for Cold Fusion 4.x on Windows, but
that it will be supported on Cold Fusion 5 and I should upgrade.
Considering the amount of time Cold Fusion 5 has been out and the installed
4.x base (and the fact that I have a cluster of web servers and this upgrade
is cost prohibitive and unnecessary), this strikes me as a blatant attempt
to force upgrades.  I think that they have been going to Microsoft school.

I now feel that I have no alternative but to investigate alternatives to
Cold Fusion as I no longer have faith that Macromedia has any intention of
providing the type of support it's developer community needs.  A far cry
from the days that Allaire was compiling custom builds of 3.x for me while
we tried to track down threading problems in the Cold Fusion Server service.
This is annoying as we have a lot of code that will need to be re-written,
but it will end up being cheaper in the long run if this is indicative of
how Macromedia is going to respond.

I hope that I am not the only one who is disturbed by this and that
Macromedia will reconsider their position on this.

Disappointed,
Justin Greene

p.s.  Allaire posted a resolution to the EXACT problem for Linux on August
7, 2000 in KB#  16303, however it requires the source for the module which I
was told would not be made available for windows.

--
Justin Greene
Co-Founder

Spamex - Protect your real email address forever