At 11:50 AM -0400 9/9/01, Jon Hall wrote:
>I've thought about this a little, and I would love there to be a
>scriptable COM object of the CF engine (imagine using CF for asp/wsh!
>:-) ). Although with the architecture overhaul to a Java engine,
>COM/ActiveX is probably out of the picture though. With so many
>unanswered questions about CF6, it's really hard to speculate how the
>this would work in the future. Perhaps a JavaBean? I bet it would be
>expensive...especially if it is distributable.

Would it really need to be expensive?  If I am not mistaken, you can
get CF 5 free (download at the MM site) or for about $50 when you
purchase Ben Forta's book.

This is a 30-day trial version.  From posts on this site, I understand that:

   after 30 days it reverts to a single user (single IP server) version.

   This still can be used, but to do so is a violation of the license agreement.

   Prior versions of CF had a similar setup, but the license agreement permitted
   continued use as a "Developer" version

So, in effect a free version of full CF is out there... it is just
not deployable as a production application server.  But, the
capability we seek does not require this deployment.

>Maybe Macromedia could introduce a new product that used the CF engine
>to script applications kinda like Authorware (Visual CF Studio?). A RAD
>framework based on CF. It would be cool, but how successfull would it
>be? Maybe there is a simpler way to get CF on the desktop though. I'm
>definately interested in what other people think.

What I would like to see is CF available on the desktop in several
flavors... all would include the "pseudo database" capability I
described in the original post, and the ability to interface a local
database, if one were installed.

   1. A runtime system (RTS) similar to a browser plugin or to a Java
runtime environment.
      Any Desktop CF application would run, using this RTS.

      The RTS would be easily downloaded and installed.  It could also
be distributed by
      developers (along with their desktop CF apps) for a nominal fee.

   2. A single-user desktop development system (DDS), probably
including a lobotomized
      studio.

      The DDS would allow lay people to develop stand-alone apps that
fill needs similar to
      VB.  I would like to see this in the $40-$99 price range.

   3. A full-blown single-user web development system (WDS), with full
studio ala the
      30-day trial version, at a reasonable fee (under $500)

Each of these desktop offerings would include the capabilities of the
less expensive offerings.  So, If you buy 3, you get 1 and 2.

The marketing assumptions here, are:

   there is a need for custom desktop programming/data manipulation
beyond what can be
   accomplished by spreadsheet macros.

   VB currently addresses this need.

   CF is easier to write (and read) than VB because is is at a higher-level of
   implementation (less granular) and has many integrated functions
(db, mail, cfhttp,
   etc).

   A browser is a familiar interface and is a sufficient user
interface to desktop apps.

   There is a class of desktop applications that could be developed,
by professional CF
   developers, in a very cost-effective way.

   There is a class of web applications that could greatly be enhanced
with a companion
   desktop component.

   There is a class of desktop applications that could benefit from
the ability to
   interface an internet application.

   It is in the best interest of MM and we as CF developers to promote
the widest possible
   use of CF.

   There are acceptable levels of profits to be made by MM, and CF developers.

Dick