From: Benjamin Falloon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 12:42 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Check out what Gartner is recommending. Drop IIS!

Maybe a little OT, but my 2c.

I wouldn't call that stupid at all.
Consider all of the attacks aimed squarely at IIS in the past few months.
It's only going to increase. I've had personal experience with being hacked.
I run 2 internal IIS development boxes for CF and an internal hack replaced
*ALL* index.htm, default.htm files in all folders in the web serving
directory. Lucky more files where cfm.

I'm not a 'server' admin (by title) but I can thank MS for this. If they
released a tighter web server with less vunerabilities maybe there would be
fewer viruses/hacks that could penetrate. People shouldn't need to have to
patch every week.

Doesn't that fact indicate that just *maybe* the software itself is pretty
shaky?

Consider this quote from the article,

"Gartner remains concerned that viruses and worms will continue to attack
IIS until Microsoft has released a completely rewritten, thoroughly and
publicly tested, new release of IIS,"

Rewritten. That would be a good idea. Try to imagine a pair of pants with as
many 'security' patches as is and will continue to be required for IIS. I'd
say the pants would be more patches than pants.

Just a thought,

Benjamin

PS maybe apache would be a good alternative.