From: Rey Bango [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 1:59 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Check out what Gartner is recommending. Drop IIS!

Paul,

Rejoicing for a more secure product is certainly understandable but
Gartner's recommendation to dump IIS altogether is just plain dumb.
Replacing every IIS box makes absolutely no business sense and the cost
would be astronomical. In addition, a bigger part of the issue is the way
security, in general, is handled. Security through obscurity is not the way
to deal w/ a publicly accessible box and that seems to be the trend. I've
seen the way that many admins work (whether by choice or, in most cases,
because they're overworked) and they tend to ignore security advisories.

I am glad, however, that the report lit a fire under Microsoft's butt so
that people can continue to use a good web serving platform w/out having to
shift focus to a totally foreign platform (eg: Linux/Apache or Sun/iPlanet).

My 2 cents.

Rey...