> My point is that you would have less exposure to risk running alternatives
> because they aren't a massive target like IIS is.

Sorry bud but you're exposed with every server. I've got a T1 running in
here and I scan the logs. I get probed all of the time on all different
types of ports and as I mentioned before, MS is just the flavor of the
month. Don't be surprised that while everyone is making a big deal about
IIS, someone's alrady coming out with a new worm for Linux. There was a nice
juicy one just awhile ago that really slapped around several Linux admins.

You are exposed at the moment that you connect *any* server or pc, with any
OS, to the Net and to assume that you would have less exposure to risk by
not using MS/IIS would be naive. *YOU* are the main determining factor in
how secure your box will be. Yes, applying patches is a PITA but its part of
what goes with running a publicly accessible web server.

Here's my take on this, irregardless of OS. If a person does not know how to
properly manage their box or doesn't have the time to do it, then:

1) They shouldn't be putting it out on Net or
2) They should hire someone to do it.

The management of a webserver is essentially a full-time job and most people
treat that responsibility in a half-ass way. Then, when they get hacked,
they blame the OS. Its like raising a child. If you're not prepared to do it
the right way, then abstain, wear protecion or stay celebate! hehe.

Thanks for the opinions, bud.

Rey...