You start off making some valid points.  However.

Regarding patching:  you're telling me there's never been an apache patch?
How about an iPlanet patch?  And you can apply it without restarting any
daemons?  Right.  No Apache patches.  Ever.  They come perfect, right out of
the box, every time.  I think they DO have patches, they just call them
REVISIONS.

Regarding reboot while patching IIS:  three days out of 90.  Not bad.  One
day a month maintaining an IIS box.  Big deal.

The TV analogy:  Ever seen the watch that will serve as a remote control?
We still buy the tv.  People can hack cell phone calls, yet we still used
them.  Phone lines can be tapped, we still use the phone.  My car got broken
into last week.  The autobody shop said "Locks are meant to keep honest
people out".  If someone wants in, really, they'll get in eventually.  You
can't stop them.  You can only make the effort to keep it difficult.

I like what they said in "the score": If Someone built it, it can be taken
apart.  Don't for a second think that *nix is any more secure than WinBlows.

Nobody has forced you to accept "appalingly poor quality software simply
because the majority don't know".  The majority DOES know I'm afraid.  If
YOU don't like it, switch professions.  Be thankful you have a job.  I am.
Without this majority, there wouldn't be the need for IT professionals.
That's the way the world works.  It's not like a virus has never been
written for *nix, or a worm, or a DoS attack, or bad code.  It's a way of
life in IT.