From: Matt Robertson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 2:04 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: UPS Prices

I used to use the Forta tag and loved it.  Then UPS started playing
hide-the-api and broke it... At the time, at least.

After that experience I decided I can't depend on a 3rd party's good
will to let ecommerce sites keep working.  Built a tag that uses
downloaded/imported rates rather than trying to keep up with UPS, their
changing API and usage restrictions (at the time of v1.1 and 2.0 (which
was a whole year-and-a-half ago... Now they're on V5??) pulling rates
from their site became a violation of their site usage rules.  Don't
know if they've changed, but from what they told me at the time they
were pretty solid in wanting to migrate everyone to their own licensed
tools.

The solution isn't perfect by any stretch.  Not *everything* is
supported, although what most U.S. shippers seem to need is.  Plus the
rates need to be updated annually... But at least that means
UPS-shipping sites don't break themselves more than once a year.

--Matt Robertson--
MSB Designs, Inc.
http://mysecretbase.com