Yeah, that experience pretty much mirrors mine, although it never occurred to me to
back-door it like you did.  Clever.  I'm surprised an earlier API is still working.
Probably a heavy hitter somewhere told 'em to leave it alone or else.

What creeps me out is not reliability.  Its hanging my you-know-whats out, asking for
them to get chopped off if UPS decides to revise their API yet again.  The first time
it happened I had to run around and redo a bunch of sites for free.  Should have
gotten clients to sign off on the limitations/risks of using a 3rd-party add-in.

>From my perspective, At least I *know* that I'm good for a year.  Last year's rate
>update was a snap.  This year's is going to need some new things given recent rate
>changes, but it can't be that bad.  Hopefully no more than an afternoon's work.

---------------------------------------
Matt Robertson    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MSB Designs, Inc., www.mysecretbase.com
---------------------------------------

from: Bud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:21:15 -0500

On 12/10/01, Matt Robertson penned:
>After that experience I decided I can't depend on a 3rd party's good
>will to let ecommerce sites keep working.  Built a tag that uses
>downloaded/imported rates rather than trying to keep up with UPS, their
>changing API and usage restrictions (at the time of v1.1 and 2.0 (which
>was a whole year-and-a-half ago... Now they're on V5??) pulling rates
>from their site became a violation of their site usage rules.  Don't
>know if they've changed, but from what they told me at the time they
>were pretty solid in wanting to migrate everyone to their own licensed
>tools.

I hacked Ben's UPSPrice.cfm tag to work with version 1.2, which it
still works fine with. As far as licensing, they wouldn't issue me a
developer's license (not a big enough fish I guess), but it seems
that the tag is OK to use as long as the end user registers. Here is
my "back and forth" with UPS:

Me:
Why CAN'T I have a developer's license??

UPS:
UPS has limited the number of third party developer requests to ensure that
it can appropriately manage and support the third party developer program.
UPS has received a very large number of requests from developers seeking to
license the OnLine Tools.  AS the program moves forward and UPS gains
additional experience with the program, UPS may have the ability to license
a greater number of third party developers.

Me:
Thanks Renee'. At least it's an explanation, albeit a pretty poor one. :)

So, if I build a shopping cart for someone who would like to use UPS,
I can develop a module for them to use as long as they register as an
end user, correct?

UPS:
That is correct.  You can offer 'custom' work for your clients as long as
they license and register for the UPS OnLine Tools.
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/