From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 12:26 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: How do people work around the current limited cfmail

Larry W. Virden wrote:

> from: "BILLY CRAVENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>Easily done - CFSCHEDULE  a task that checks the undeliverable folder,
loops
>>through the files, and emails them to whoever, and then deletes them from
>>the folder
>>

> Not so easy, since it is relatively difficult, as far as I can tell, to
> determine what application generated the mails - or did I miss
> an option somewhere?

No you didn't, it is something that has to be explicitly enabled, for
instance by writing it as a header in the email.

As a hosting provider I require everybody using cfmail to write 2 extra
headers for each email.

Header number 1 is the X-Originating-IP which should always read
#cgi.remote_addr# to track down people abusing (badly designed) email
facilities.
<cfmailparam name="X-Originating-IP" value="#cgi.remote_addr#">

Header number 2 is the X-Complaints-To header which should have the
emailaddress of either the webmaster or the postmaster of the site.
This header is intended to make sure that even people that host without
their own domain get to handle their own email complaints.

But the Complaints header gives a nice second option. Policy is to run a
scheduled script at midnight which reads the contents of the undelivr
folder. Each individual email is parsed for the presence of an
X-Complaints-To header. If present the reason for the email being
undeliverable is parsed from the mail.log and the email together with
the reason are send to the X-Complaints-To address and are no longer my
problem.

People have been informed that email without an X-Complaints-To header
that is found in the undelivr directory will be deleted.

And the second way to solve the problem is that I have modified
cf_advancedemail to be able to write to the pickup dir of any SMTP
server, some of which perform quite a bit better than dart.dll. But
processing of undeliverable emails remains the same.

Jochem