At 10:31 PM 12/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>so now 4.0 could be free or at least deeply discounted...
>creates new sales for dead products as well...

FWIW, that is something that a lot of software companies tried these many
years ago. It turns out to be a really bad call for the most part. It
cannibalizes your current sales because people figure it is better to go
for free than to pay for the latest. It forces you to support older
versions which means more training for technicians. It also creates a
perception that your software has no value, if you give it away for free
you can't charge for it later. Corel used to do this. One of the more
current models that is similar is Linux and some server products where
there is a free version and a supported version. If you look at how those
companies have faired, Macromedia's journey of the last few months looks
like a church picnic.

It is good to ask these things and to think out of the box, but this isn't
the way. I like the idea of being able to buy features as you go. That is
really cool. I don't know if there is any research on that, but it might be
worth looking at.