Ken's right - do NOT use the registry for storing client variables. By
default this is exactly what CF does. One of the first things you should do
upon installing CF is create an empty database, say called ClientVariables,
and make this the DEFAULT storage source (under the CF Administrator which
is smart enough to create the necessary tables in a blank database).

You will save your system/s from potential problems of the Registry filling
up by doing this.

You can still setup seperate Client storage databases for each application
however. If you don't specify which datasource to use (in your
application.cfm file) then the default will be used instead.

Client variables are very useful for storing persistent information for a
long period of time. I think the CF default is about 90 days. I wrote a neat
application for calculating the nutrient content of foods to originally
"remember" what a customer had entered (see
http://www.anzfa.gov.au/npc/anzfa_npc) but the powers that be did not want
any data to be retained by the server so I had to go back to Session
instead.

Also remember that when using client/session variables you must track the
CLIENT (the web browser itself) through the application by appending the
CFID/CFTOKEN to your URL's etc. Ben Forta's masterful Web Application
Construction Kit (see www.forta.com) discusses these techniques very well.

Cheers!

Peter Tilbrook