Actually, session variables can be set to expire at different time
intervals.  There is a method that has been posted before which sets
"session cookies", which will effectively "end session on browser clo
se".
However, this is not actually true, since the session variables are s
till
held in memory regardless of when the user closes the browser.  The c
ookies
set are only active for the time the browser is open... For example,
session
timeouts are set to 30 minutes.  The user closes the browser after 10
minutes and comes back to the site in another 10.  Unless you have ma
nually
set the cfid and cftoken cookies with no expired attribute , which
effectively makes them only valid while the browser is open, your ses
sion
will still be active when you come back after those 10 minutes have e
xpired.

Remember that restarting the ColdFusion Application Server service wi
ll kill
any memory variables, such as application and session variables.  Cli
ent
variables are not affected by doing this -- you can set the timeout f
or
client variables to be purged in the CF adminitrator.

Andy

  From
> what it sounds like why not just use client variables all the time?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

  Sur
> e I
> > have seen different definitions but I never set down and thought
about
> it.
> > Maybe someone has the "for dummies" version?
> >
> > Neil :)

Variab