Yes - I think I'm coming to the same conclusion - plus, your idea would
return an INT, but it would NOT return an int within a specified range of
ints (1 to 123 for example).

-----Original Message-----
From: Haggerty, Michael A. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 10:30 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Random row from SQL

Well, you could use the RAND() function to get a random number,
multiply it
by GETDATE(), divide by 100000 and use INT() to return a whole
number... but
that would be a lot of SQL.

You are better off creating the variable in CF and passing it into the
SP.
Random numbers in SQL Server aren't really as random as we would like;
once
you reset the server the random number counter resets and you get a
repeating pattern.

Mike