>I know that the prevailing wisdom is that CFOUTPUT with the Query attribute
>is faster than CFLOOPing over a query. However, in Forta's CF 5
>Certification Study Guide, he states that CFLOOP performs better (p. 37 and
>374). Has CF 5 improved the performance of CFLOOP (Steve Drcuker referred
>it as the "CF tag of death" in CF 3) so that it performs better than
>CFOUTPUT with a query attribute?

First off, the cf-talk archive has a ton of threads, a lot of them very
recent on this subject. I would definitely look there.

But to answer your question...it depends.

For a small record set, the performance difference is negligible. However,
starting with CF 4.01 (may have been 4.0), CFLOOP was tuned to perform
better with larger record sets. Yes, it was the "CF tag of death" in CF 3.1
and below. But it now is the speedier of the two methods. Plus, you have the
added benefit of being able to nest loops (which allows you to nest record
sets if you wish), and you can significantly reduce whitespace by only
outputting necessary variables as opposed to large blocks of code with CF
tags mixed in. Remember, 2 or 3 lines of whitespace per loop can add up
quickly in larger record sets.

CFOUTPUT has the advantage of being able to use attributes such as GROUP,
STARTROW, MAXROWS, and GROUPCASESENSITIVE. CFLOOP is a "dumb" tag, in that
it accepts the query name (in this instance) and then just loops until there
are no more records. CFOUTPUT is more intelligent, and thus a little more
costly, because it examines the results of the record set for start rows,
end rows, etc.

Personally, I use CFLOOP QUERY="" in my code and then only output what needs
to be output. The processing time that I save by using a "dumb tag" and
eliminating unnecessary whitespace is important to me. But you will find
that there are some people who swear by using CFOUTPUT QUERY="". When it
comes to grouping and stuff, more often than not, I can take care of that in
my SQL statement.

Hope this sheds some light for you.

Regards,
Dave Carabetta.