Jason,

Here's a URL for subscribing to microsofts security service:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/notify.asp

I'd also recomend subscribing to a couple of other CERT services.
Vulnerabilities are often first discovered by third parties and and MS OS is
picked apart immediately upon release.  Recently, a number of OTHER security
issues (beside MS) could have implications for your security (like the SNMP
vulnerability).  Subscribing to a non-microsoft list keeps your focus
broader than just your OS.

First though, tune your server carefully and eliminate ALL unnecessary
services and applications.  That way, you will not be vulnerable to security
issues that would otherwise be irrelevnat to you. For example, if you are
not going to use your server as a print server, why would have the spooler
service running?  Running it takes up resources on the server and opens you
up to any security issues related to the spooler service (not that there are
any that I know of <g>).  Running it also means you are bound to apply a hot
fix if it one comes out for that service.

Contrary to some doctrine, I don't believe you should install every hot fix.
You should do enough research to be able to tell if you are at risk before
you apply the fix. Hotfixes are about 95% reliable - but there have been a
few released that have subsequently been rolled back because they cause
additional problems.  That's my 2 cents.

As far as keeping up, it's a challenge.  If you don't have operations people
and you have to do it yourself, the best advice is to create an email folder
for all the certs advisories and review them on a weekly scheduled basis.
Also get used to surfing around the net and researching the subject on a
regular basis - it never ends <g>.

Mark