From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 9:05 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Fusebox pros and cons

> > I'm not so sure that's an advantage. It might be useful
> > in places, but when I'm writing a program, I usually
> > want to know where the inputs for that program come from.
>
> The new fusedocs really are a nice touch to the current
> methodology - they specifically map out what's coming in
> and what's going out of each file. You can always use
> studio's split screen function to keep that 'key' right at
> the top of your page if you start confusing scopes. Also,
> given the structure of the fusedocs, XML, you can imagine
> the uses of this (ie. auto documentation-booklet generation,
> visual mapping of your application, etc).

Yes, that's all well and good. However, my original point, which I didn't
make clear enough, is that when I write a program, that program should
explicitly accept specific inputs from specific locations. This isn't a
documentation issue, it's a program design issue.

> I would have to say that it would be an advantage when
> desigining sub-applications or modules that can be called
> as custom tags. As far as knowing where inputs come from,
> that would be a documentation issue.

Again, as stated above, I don't see this as a documentation issue. Using the
Attributes scope for everything may be useful if you want to treat
everything as a custom tag; I don't find that to be appealing. Typically,
modules within an existing application are linked tightly enough to the rest
of the application that there's very little to be gained by calling them as
custom tags, in my opinion.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496