Roger B. wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:22:10 +0100, in cf-talk you wrote:
>
>>I don't see the problem with a custom tag reaching out to a server level
>>variable to determine the OS and thereby the directory delimiter.
>
> Why wouldn't you simply pass that server level variable into the tag
> as an attribute? What's the point of side-stepping the custom tag
> interface and treating it like an include?

Simplicity for the user.

If I design a customtag to replace cfmail I want it to act somewhat like
cfmail. That means that if a spooldir is not explicitly passed in, it is
read from the registry. If a port, SMTP server, directory delimiter,
output format etc. are not defined as customtag attributes I read
default values from the registry and server variables.
If people want to specify them explicitly in the attributes they are
welcome to do so. If not, it works just fine, but a little bit slower.

Even though I don't really like a customtag to be dependent on something
that is not explicitly passed into it, I don't see any real problem.

Jochem