On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:51:39 -0500, in cf-talk you wrote:

>That is, you couldn't usefully pry the module out
>of the application and use it just anywhere, because it relies on the data
>structure of the parent application.

Dave,

Agreed. I should state for the record that I'm not of the FB3,
drag-and-drop, reuse-the-same-fuses-across-a-dozen-applications
school. When I talk about code modularization and reuse in Fusebox,
I'm talking specifically about having an app serve as a sort of
inter-application "web service" via the custom tag interface.

>I don't find this level of linkage
>especially useful - either something is dependent on the larger application,
>or it's not, from a linkage perspective.

Let me give you a concrete example with which I'm intimately familiar:

Let's say you have a forum app. One of its tasks is to display a list
of recent discussions... let's give that task a name like
"showtopics". Showtopics' work is broken down into a query, the
creation of a thread structure, and then the layout of the page.

Now, if I want to display a list of recent forum discussions on my
site's front page, I *could* recreate the query call, the threading
code, and wedge it into the code that creates that front page. Or I
could simply call my fusebox as a custom tag and say, "Hey, use your
pre-existing code to feed me the query results and that structure...
but leave off your presentation stuff, 'cause I'll do that myself."

Call me crazy, but when I have a chance to separate data from
presentation, I take it. :)

>I should note that I'm not a fan of Fusebox.

I know, and I'm not a fan of *all* of it... the official version,
anyway. But I like some of the core ideas a great deal.

--
Roger