> > > Or enable "Single Threaded Sessions" in the CF Administrator.
> >
> > And pay a steep price in performance...
>
> Pay a price, yes, especially if you are using frames. But
> I'd not call it a steep price.
>
> Has anyone ran stats on this one?

I have, for specific problem applications. While I can neither provide
specifics on performance differences (most of the performance tuning
engagements I've performed have been under blanket NDAs) nor proof that the
specific applications are representative of CF apps in general, my
conclusion was that this option significantly impeded performance under load
(50+ concurrent users).

I'm not sure why, exactly, this causes a problem; my guess is that there's
only one request queue, and if two requests from the same session are next
to each other in the queue, subsequent requests won't process until the
first request is complete, even if there are available worker threads. This
is, of course, pure speculation. You might ask someone on the CF Server
development team for more detail about how this option works.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444