> Sorry to be a pest but, as I stated earlier on this list,
> I have a feeling that most of the fear of Single Threaded
> Sessions is based on CF urban legend. I'd welcome some
> real information.

Unfortunately, there's very little "real information" pertaining to server
performance tuning. It has been my experience, though, that the
single-threaded session option doesn't work very well under load. I have
load-tested a few applications in my time. You're free to accept or reject
this as it suits you, of course, but anecdotal information is going to be
all you get when it comes to these sorts of things: "it worked for me when I
did this" or "it didn't work". Macromedia has rarely provided useful,
indepth performance tuning information, or useful descriptions of the
internal operation of server features.

> And what sort of a CF operation takes 20 seconds?

Under normal conditions, very few, hopefully. Under extreme load, though,
page times of 20 seconds aren't uncommon.

> in/re "On sites where the all pages takes less than 100 ms
> the problem would be smaller indeed." Good. That would
> include the vast majority of my pages.

I assume that means 100ms with a single user. How many milliseconds per page
per user with ten users? fifty? one hundred? five hundred? Those are the
questions that often need to be answered, to find the bottlenecks within an
application. In my experience, pages that work perfectly well with few users
may fail terribly under load. That's why it's so important to load-test
applications, if you expect them to potentially bear any significant load.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444