G'day Chris,

You're quite right, there was no reason whatever to require a social
security number.  I quoted it because it's the worst case I have ever seen.
I should also say that HP fixed it soon afterwards.  But it happened because
whoever was working on that part of the site had not given any thought to
what life is like outside the USA. Perhaps because they just picked up
something out of their intranet and pasted it in or perhaps because they
were so insular cosseted in their thinking they were totally ignorant about
life outside.

I communicate a lot with Americans in my work and my hobbies, and I'm never
short of amusement at Yanks who will be surprised at how good my English is,
or ask do we have Christmas here, or are amazed that it's summer here when
it's winter there.  I think it's because the USA is so vast, and everything
else so huge that there's no need to go outside the USA for anything.
(That's not a criticism. It's just an observation.)

But if a company wants to spread its wings and tap into the gigantic market
outside the USA  (for all the huge size of the USA, the rest of the world is
ten times the size or more) it has to spread its thinking too, and learn
that the world is not just like a lot of smaller USAs.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP WebWorks