First off, check out [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  It is designed for topics like this.  ( I cced that list)

  What I usually include a proposal:
   Introduction:  ( Who am I / who is your company )

  Summary ( one paragraph description of project )

  Functionality  ( A full description of the functionality of the
site.  This is akin to a specification document )

  Software ( I.E. This site will be developed on ColdFusion 5, with an
attempt to avoid potential incompabilities with ColdFusion MX.  The
database will be developed in SQL Server )

  Timeline ( I like to group out projects in multiple phases.  Try to get
the client to sign off on each phase before starting the next one )

  Pricing ( Whatever the agreement )

  Terms and Conditions / Contract ( Standard disclaimers such as who owns
the code, what happens if payment is late, etc.. etc. )