I actually do this because I often have some additional processing that
takes place between the query statements.  An example might be where I
update a structure to contain a max ID that I retrieved for one of the
inserts.  If there is some other problem in other logic, cftransaction won't
catch it.  Another thing I might do is retry something once or twice if the
error happens to be a db connection timeout.  Helps avoid sending the
"please retry" message back to the user.  This requires me to catch the
error type.

David Schmidt