That's wrong man,  This is off of msdn:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql2k/htm
l/megasrvs.asp

Here is the piece that pertains:

Symmetric Multiprocessors
SMP gives vertical growth from small processors to MegaServers by adding
more processors, disks, and peripherals to a single system. Beyond a certain
point, this growth involves replacing existing equipment with a different
system model

Symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) grows a server by adding multiple processors
to a single shared memory. The system grows by adding memory, disks, network
interfaces, and processors. SMP is the most popular way to scale beyond a
single processor. The SMP software model, often called the shared memory
model, runs a single copy of the operating system with application processes
running as if they were on a single processor system. SMP systems are
relatively easy to program. They also leverage the benefits of
industry-standard software and hardware components.

Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft SQL Server 2000 are designed to scale
well on SMP systems. They can use up to 32 processors for some applications
but the practical limits for general-purpose use today are:

Eight processors
32 gigabytes of main memory
10 TB of protected storage (300 36-GB disk drives configured as 60 hardware
RAID sets and 10 logical volumes)
50,000 active clients accessing a SQL Server through the IIS Web server or
some transaction monitor
These are the maximum sizes Microsoft has seen. Typical large servers are
half this size or less. With time, Microsoft SQL Server, Windows 2000, and
hardware technology will evolve to support even larger configurations.

Tim Heald
ACP/CCFD
Application Development
www.schoollink.net