I just went through a few days of trying to figure this out and found that
the only two ways were using a javascript to load a .gif and passing the
parameters or using a hidden frame and dynamically changing the frame src.
If you have control over the page you are submitting and can cause it return
a .gif content type then the .gif method is the easiest.  If you do not have
control over the page then the hidden frame method will work the best as you
will be able to confirm that the page is loaded.  I have a URL at home on
this that I will forward tonight as I cannot seem to find it from here.

Justin