Well there are two different ways to do it that I know of. The easiest would
be the xmlhttp objects available in IE5+ and Mozilla. Sending url
parameters, and getting back your data in a parseable format. I haven't done
this but in theory it is very easy. Some code...
try {
  // for Mozilla
  req = new XMLHttpRequest();
  req.overrideMimeType("text/xml");
} catch (e) {
  // for IE5+
  req = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
}
req.open("GET", "page.html",false);
req.send(null);

If NS4 is a requirement hidden ilayers are the only way to go. In which
case, you might as well use the hidden iframe method in IE/Moz. In this case
you would change the src of the ilayer/iframe, and in the page in the
invisible frame you would grab the data you want from the database based on
the url parameters, and have functions in the hidden object that basically
pass the data to functions in the parent page that do the visual stuff like
filling in form fields.
I have a site up that is doing this now for a phone number lookup, but it
requires a login. Shoot me an email and I can send you a demo u/p.

jon