Thanks that's very informative. I think you've convinced me not to do it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Ruckelshaus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 03 May 2002 13:45
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Does CF have to be on same machine as IIS?

We run in a simple distributed mode:

                                   --> IIS Web server (Win2K) --> FW --> CF
Enterprise (Win2K) --> Oracle 8i
HW Load Balancer <
                                   --> IIS Web server (Win2K) --> FW --> CF
Enterprise (Win2K) --> Oracle 8i

I don't think it really solves any issues (we are in this mode for security
reasons) as far as load goes, and it certainly adds a number of
complications.  The web server takes very little load since all it does is
serve non-.cfm files (images, pdf's, etc.), so I don't think there's an
advantage there.  The complexities it adds are that you have to serve
non-cfm files from the web server; for us, that basically means that when we
do a push, we have to push everything to BOTH the web server and the app
server, since we do a lot of cffile/cfdirectory stuff in our content
management system (Spectra 1.51, but that's another story altogether).  The
second reason why we have to push EVERYTHING (including .cfm files) to the
web server is the following.  Say you have this URL that points to the
default document on your app server --
http://www.somedomain.com/somedirectory/ -- because the default document
(i.e. /somedirectory/default.cfm) exists only on your app server, when you
point at the above URL, you would get a 404 because the web server couldn't
find the doc.  So, in order to avoid the 404, you need to have the same
files on your app server and web server.  It's a PITA.

Again, IIS can handle a large load with little effort when it's just serving
non-dynamic pages, whether ASP or CF...our web server plugs along at 1-2%
CPU utilization (50k page views a day on a P3/866, 512MB RAM), while our app
server agerages 12-25% CPU serving the dynamic pages (same page views,
p3/866, 1GB RAM), so personally I think the benefit is negligible.  Having
load balanced servers is another story though...makes it much less painful
to bring down one server for maintenance, restarts, etc., but it also means
that you  need to have sync routines for files between the two servers and
your database needs to be on a separate machine (as it should be anyway).
Personally, I don't think there would be a problem running JRun and CF on
the same box, especially with Neo coming down the pike...

Pete