----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Liotta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 3:49 PM
Subject: RE: Finer grain performance indicators

> The only way to really measure the performance of your application is
> with load testing tools. Simply looking at the time it takes to process
> a single request is generally not that useful.

I disagree, load testing comes after you have performance tuned the
application for single requests, the execution times will point you to areas
of code that need improvement, or optimization, load testing can help point
you to bottle necks exosed when the throughput is much higher than the
single request.  Execution times will help you optimize the code, load
testing will help you optimize the logic.

> However, an execution
> time above 250ms is just plain slow.

That is entirely relative - if you are doing a query manipulating 40,000
rows and your server is running on an old 486 with 64mb of ram then 250ms
would be pretty bloody quick (magic box quick!), and if you are displaying a
simple "Hello World" template on an Athlon 1700XP with 2 gig of usable Ram
and a 3 gig Ram Disk containing your entire operating system, then 250ms is
pretty slow.

---
James Sleeman

Innovative Media Ltd
Ph: (03) 377 6262
http://www.websolutions.co.nz

CAUTION:  The information contained in this email message is confidential
and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited.  If you have
received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and
destroy the original message and any attachments.

Views expressed in this communication may not be those of Innovative Media
Ltd.