Just jumping in briefly to explain what I did to get around " and ' in our
apps.  Going into the database would be fine (using
perserveSingleQuotes() and whatever 'escape' character we could use that
the database recognizes), it's pulling out and displaying again that
became a problem.

So, when we're displaying to the end user... " & ' became ", etc so
that it wouldn't break the form fields, etc.  Going back into the
database via 'save changes' button, the " apparently becomes a "
again going back in... thus, we were able to maintain the 'original'
user-submitted value.

One thing I hate about certain forum software (and, I won't say which) is
that what you submitted isn't what's always returned to the user when they
want to edit.  I griped about it, but was told that it's faster to do the
'translation' of things before shoving it into the db.  They failed to
recognize something -- I don't care what it's translation is, I care about
data integrity and making sure that if that's what I put in, that's what I
get out when I go to edit that data blob.  To this day, it's still an
issue and I just quit pestering the forum maker as it's their product vs.
my opinion. :P

I think if you use HTMLEditFormat(), you're putting yourself into a new
world of problems.  Especially if the < > characters translate to
something else.  Not to mention, great... now you gotta worry about
storage issue (especially if you're using a varchar field and not a
blob-type field).

~Todd

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Adrian Lynch wrote:

> [...]

Todd Rafferty ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - http://www.web-rat.com/ |
        Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion           |
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/  |
http://www.flashCFM.com/   - webRat (Moderator)            |
http://www.ultrashock.com/ - webRat (Back-end Moderator)   |