From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 12:04 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CFEncrypt Utility

> For me it would be nice to release an app to the public
> that is completely encrypted and I don't have to worry
> about the decrypting it.

Well, that's probably not going to happen. Once you give those zeros and
ones to someone else, they will most likely be able to get to the internal
logic, given enough time and effort. There are decompilers and debuggers
available that expose this kind of stuff, which is why there are obfuscation
tools, but like with any arms race, the advantage generally goes to the
aggressor.

So, all you can do is hope to make it more difficult. Admittedly, decrypting
CFML code is far easier than reading obfuscated Java classes. Unfortunately,
I don't see an easy way around this, other than limiting the functionality
that you put in your CFML code. Fortunately, this is easier and more
practical with CF MX than with previous versions; you can simply abstract
out your significant logic and put that into Java classes, and invoke those
classes from your CFML pages. When you compile those classes, you can use an
obfuscation tool to make it more difficult for decompilers to make any sense
of the source code.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496