----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Liotta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2002 1:41 PM
Subject: RE: CFEncrypt Utility

> Without giving it all away... It allows you to package up some CF code
> and lock it down with a key. Then you distribute it to some destination
> server. The person on that end gives the tool the correct key to unlock
> it, and the tool gets CF to compile all the code into classes and then
> removes any trace of the source. There are lots more details to it
> including how it protects against various types of attacks on stealing
> the source, but those are implementation details you can't have.

I was under the impression that while Ben Forta showed in an early demo that
the CF source code could be removed from the server that in the CFMX release
it is not really possible to do this (I realise you are not sending around
java classes, but still).

Whatever the case you are still going to end up putting the source in clear
text (or cfencrypted at least) on the server even if only for a short time,
it would be trivial to have something watch the directory the files are
installed (temporarily) to and whip off a copy somewhere before your tool
scrubs them, no ?

Unless CFMX can be coaxed into decrypting - in memory (the way it does with
cfencrypted files) - source code files encrypted with some high quality
algorithm, using a private key that is retrieved from some means not
accessible to anything other than the CF server and never stored on disk
(perhaps it could be retrieved over the web at run time, or wired into a
server dongle (that's not a bad idea, if MM equiped CF server with unique
dongles we could encrypt the files against the customers dongle ID)), then I
don't see how it will be possible to protect source code with significant
success (of course, you can never be 100% successfull, it's all just a bunch
of bits in the end).

---
James Sleeman

Innovative Media Ltd
Ph: (03) 377 6262
http://www.websolutions.co.nz

CAUTION:  The information contained in this email message is confidential
and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited.  If you have
received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and
destroy the original message and any attachments.

Views expressed in this communication may not be those of Innovative Media
Ltd.

---