Hey Gary

- ECMA compliance will break existing cfscript & MM/Adobe won't break
backward compatibility in CF.

- I doubt very much whether writing/implementing a language/syntax and
all the stuff that goes with it could ever be called an easy thing to
do. Maybe your definition of easy is a little different to mine.

People often forget that CF is geared towards entry level web
development - "make pdf's and reports in 5 minutes" is the sweet spot
for CF - not proper OO, or more elegant/advanced language features.

Look at CF7, which I consider the first "real version" since about CF4
(the other versions where just steps in the long migration to java) -
all the new features are geared towards entry level, "impress your
boss" type stuff.

The market beyond this is very crowded (java, .net, etc...) - why
would mm go in there and try to compete with that. They have listened
to people like us saying they want more true oo, etc.. and so they
gave us native java support.

MM/Adobe see Flash & Flex are the areas where they can throw a lot of
budget and expect returns because they are alone in their market,
there is no direct competition. If they can expand this market by
convincing J2EE and Mobile people that Flash is right for the UI -
they are all along and have the chance to cash in big time.

CF is in a very different place to this - MM/Adobe will continue to
support it as long as it turns a profit, but I don't think they really
see it as a game changer for them so they are not about to pour heaps
of resources into ramping it up.

I'd expect a whole lot more Flex/PDF integration in the next CF. Maybe
some token geeky stuff like interfaces, but not much more. There is no
way you are going to see the type of effort go into the CF language
that you have seen in AS over the past few years.

I wouldn't hold your breath for any significant change of direction here.

--
Mark Stanton
Gruden Pty Ltd