On 8/30/06, Steve Onnis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but it would be very difficult to develop a .NET
application using something as simple as notepad.

There are some OK editors out there to do .NET coding in (all the editors for the MONO runtime in Linux, Dreamweaver etc) and you can use the free command line compilers for .NET. If you are a small business willing to comit to developing a .net application, you can sign up to be a Microsoft Empower partner for around $1000 and recieve an MSDN subscripction and copies of Windows Server, SQL Server and VS 2005 to use to make these products.

Some interesting reading. I was thinking about going this way for my own company but I will be sticking with low cost PHP/MySQL for now... for now I tell you!

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/40011351

Quote:
  • Up to five (5) software licenses (for internal use):
    • Microsoft Windows XP
    • Microsoft Office XP (Premium or Developer Edition) or Microsoft Office 2003 Editions
  • One (1) software license and up to five (5) Client Access Licenses (CALs) for:
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (Standard or Enterprise Edition)
    • Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server (Standard or Enterprise Edition)
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Standard or Enterprise Edition)
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (Standard or Enterprise Edition)
    • Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003
  • Development and Testing License: One (1) MSDN Premium Subscription Media Kit and five (5) user licenses**
    • One (1) MSDN Premium Subscription Media Kit (DVD)
    • Each MSDN Premium Subscription includes the full range of Microsoft Servers integrated server software, all Microsoft operating systems, Microsoft productivity products (Microsoft Office Developer Edition, Microsoft Project, FrontPage, Visio, and MapPoint), as well as access to SDKs, DDKs, and the MSDN Library. Each subscription also gives you priority access to new product releases, updates, and betas through the MSDN Downloads site.
    • Five (5) licenses to Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition. Up to five (5) users, concurrent with development and testing licenses provided with the MSDN Premium Subscription, may use Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition.
  • MSDN online managed support newsgroups (English only)
    • Ask software, hardware, and related technology questions in the newsgroups supported by Microsoft support professionals.
  • MSDN Online Concierge Trial (English only)
    • This service helps you find articles and resources within MSDN. The service is available worldwide and provides real-time responses.
  • ISV Advisory Service - 10 Hours
    • This new phone-based consultative service helps you develop products using Microsoft technologies. Select from a broad range of services including ad hoc development advice, best practice recommendations, code samples, and limited technology architecture or product design reviews.