Mike,

Product evangelist is basically a fancy name for technical sales
person, I've never meet an Adobe evangelist who wasn't trying to sell
me something and I'm sure Microsoft evangelists are the same. I guess
my issue is that reading when Scott is saying (I have no issues with
Scott as a person, respect his technical ability and have known him
several years) he is not interested in selling anything, has no sales
bent and is impartial on technology  I don't think this is the case.
For example Scott says it's not a sales pitch but will have a pre-
sales team on hand, off course it's a sales pitch!. Even if Scott is
not directly measured on sales he will be part of a team that is and
the cost of the events will, for sure be coming from a sales and
marketing budget. He is also measured for getting awareness of xyz
products so the more he posts links and info on this to the mailing
list the more he is hitting his KPI's.

I guess my issue is that Scott is in a technical sales role and is on
the list trying his hardest to appear as an impartial technologist
which he is not, he gave up that right when he joined Microsoft, in
the same way that I gave up being impartial to CF and Flex when we
build our products on those platforms.

As I said, I have no problem with Scott or with Microsoft (around 60%
of our clients deploy that that platform and half our internal servers
run the OS) but I do have an issues with the marketing technique as if
we tried it (posting about our technology on a competitors community
list) we would get hammered for it.

Grant