Besides the fact that most of the software Australia gets is packaged
in Asia (mainly Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand at the moment), and I
believe most of the software in the US is either in Asia or in Central
and South America. Hence no matter how much the US gets it for, Aus
should get it at a similar price too...

This does not only apply to software by the way, plenty of other types
of goods have the same sort of price 'inflation' in Australia. What is
more shocking is that not enough people are asking why, and too many
are just paying the shelf prices.