From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Barry Beattie
Sent: Monday, 1 September 2008 12:58 PM
To: cfaussie@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cfaussie] Re: Silent Printing to a Named Printer

I'm just putting the finishing touches on something similar, although
it's not POS dockets but PDF's and it had three options: email, print
to a server-connected printer or print to the local printer via a
print dialog  -with Javascript.

The browser (where your CF-based POS lives) doesn't talk to the
printer. It is the operating system that talks to the printer. the
browser negotiates that process with the O/S (hence the print dialogue
where the print type and which printer are selected)

some points
 - which client-side printer will it print to? what if there's more
than one? the obvious answer is the "default" printer, but what
happens if that's not the one needed? or there's no printers
installed?
- "Silently print" means that you want to suppress the print dialog
thrown up by the O/S when javascript calls "print()". IIWY, I'd start
there first.