If I remove the date formatting stuff from the setter,  it seems to work ok.
   But I've been using the Rooibos bean generator without problems for ages.
 I have never had this problem with dates before.    So i'm not sure what's
so different about this app.   Anyway,  if i do this with the setter:

<cffunction name="setTransDate" access="public" returntype="void"
output="false">
<cfargument name="TransDate" type="date" required="true" />
<cfset variables.instance.TransDate = arguments.TransDate />
</cffunction>

then it seems to return a date object that the <CFQUERYPARAM seems to like
and inserts the right way round.

I guess that's the workaround but i'm a bit nervous about deploying an
application where it behaves differently to other applications that work
quite successfully.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion 9 Enterprise, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month