Hi Charlie,

> One question we have is: what's the situation down there for public internet
> access
> (wifi or hardwire)? Here in the States, you can rock up to any McDonald's or
> Starbucks
> and have free wifi. Is that the same there, by any chance, or at any place
> else we
> might reasonably pop into once or twice a day if needed? We are looking to
> hook up our
> laptops, not use rented workstations such as in an internet café. (The hotel
> we're
> staying in the first week charges about $15/day for internet access.)

McDonald's has free wifi (at least in Queensland, but maybe one can confirm it
that's the case nationwide), but it's dead slow from my experience, Starbucks
doesn't afaik.

Another option now that you're doing AU only might be to get a prepaid 3G USB
stick with a few GB of data for your travels. As your AT&T phones would be
locked here with a local SIM card (most likely) you'd need to go into a store
and buy a USB stick (also makes sure it works on the local frequencies).

Three.com.au and vodafone.com.au have offerings for that - note: three is
cheaper but limited to urban areas, not sure how it is in Tasmania for
instance. Optus has offers for it as well, again not sure how their coverage is.

Cheers
Kai

--
Kai Koenig - Ventego Creative Ltd
ph: +64 4 476 6781 - mob: +64 21 928 365 /  +61 435 263 414

!!! New AU mobile number !!!