Hi Charlie

Sorry for the late reply. One final option for Free internet is to
find a hotspot near you on this website http://freeinternet.unwired.com.au/.
It has been setup by Unwired one of the biggest providers of roaming
internet in Oz. They've partnered with Cafe's and Libraries around
Melbourne (and Sydney if you're going there). Basically you order a
coffee and ask for the password and off you go (I guess no need for a
coffee at the libraries) - much nicer than McDonalds!!!!! I was just
having a look at their locations and saw that City Library (253
Flinders Lane) has joined. This would be a great place to go because
it's a nice modern library, comfy sofas (if you can get one) or tables
to sit at and it's in the heart of some of Melbourne's most lively,
buzzing and colourful lane ways (Degraves St, Centre Place etc).

I've not been to Tazzie but the in-laws just came back from a week
road tour (hired a car) and loved it. They had a particularly nice
time in Deloraine (between Cradle Mt and Launceston) where they stayed
in log cabins.

Cheers
Matthew