I'm working over a network drive on the lan, I guess that might be the problem.

All of the files I'm editing are only are small, most like 5-10k a few
approaching
20k, which is just mostly some chunky sql gateways cfc's

I have the console open, see what happens, maybe I will see the
heisenberg effect

I tried the progress window, but it locked up with everything else

BTW thanks everyone for taking the time to help out :)