On 10/20/06, RA Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A sense of deja vu here from many years ago when encountering Perl for
the first time! It only really began to make sense when I was able to
take a working example and de-construct it line-by-line in my own
working environment, and I think the same will apply to AJAX. A working
example of a simple web app built around CGI::Application using AJAX
would be most helpful.

I did a talk on AJAX and perl at YAPC Chicago [1] this year.  The
slides for most of the talks are online [2], and I added links to my
slides [3] and source code [4].

The slides for my talk are probably pretty vague without me talking
around them, but the source code includes several working examples
(some of which even use CGI::Application).

I didn't use CGI::Application for all the examples, because the perl
side of things was't usually the important bit, and using lots of perl
modules may have required more explaining then I wanted to do.  That
having been said, there is some nasty CGI.pm html generation in some
of the examples :)  I like it for quick and dirty example scripts...

If you really just want to see how the most basic AJAX request works,
then look at the XMLHttpRequest example in examples/XMLHttpRequest.
The first example (index.html) in there uses no extra JavaScript
modules, it does everything manually.  index2.html simplifies this by
using the prototype.js library, and then index3.html simplifies things
again by using JSON instead of XML with the prototype.js library.

If you have any questions about any of the examples, let me know and
I'll try and help out.  Also note that I used prototype.js because it
was popular, and easy to create some funky examples.  There are many
other really cool JavaScript libraries out there, and as others on the
list seem to be doing, I am experimenting with JQuery, which looks
very promising.

Cheers,

Cees

[1] http://yapcchicago.org