bob, this is neat. Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking along these
lines as well. Your right window reminds me of a variable watch window. It
would be handy to automatically refresh the watch list whenever one of the
variables change. I'm not aware of anything out of the box that provides a
hook to listen for noun changes.

As a workaround, you could probably refresh the watch list whenever a
statement is executed in JHS

In your textbox on the right window, you could have a comma separated list
of nouns to watch: a,b,c

And the panel below would render the output of those nouns.

Also, I've been thinking it'd be nice to toggle the output of the
interpreter interactions to a separate window.

like:

|------------------------|
| 1+1                 |
| ->2                  |
| 1+3                 |
| -> 4                 |
--------------------------
| 1+1                  |
| 1+3                  |
| waiting for input |

I often have long interactive session where I'd be nice to get back to a
clean slate of only the command history

Emacs Speaks Statistics (ESS) for R has something somewhat similar:
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Clean

JHS would make it easy to just have two separate panels for the input log
and output log, which would be an improvement imo