To throw out other ideas, I've really enjoyed using ipython notebook

Here is an example notebook from someone else
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/agconti/kaggle-titanic/blob/master/Titanic.ipynb

And a random youtube video I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6dLGQw9yFQ

Here's a similar concept for R

http://ramnathv.github.io/rNotebook/

I like being able to see the entire end result and then explore certain
sections.

I can do something similar with emacs and org-mode with J but it'd be nice
to incorporate the interactive repl

I think something like ipython notebook combined with spx to play and
inspect each section/line at a time would be powerful