Hi J4,

You have raised a lot of points and hopefully they will become areas of
discussion by those who are more qualified than myself. The areas that I have
interest in are the presentation of information through the interactive
environment and effective use of the labs as an interactive teaching tool.

It sounds to me as if you recognize the value of labs, but that they do not fit
your learning style. Can you tell me a bit more about that? I am trying to
determine what can distinguish effective labs from those that are less
effective and your point of view on all labs may give me some ideas.

The jig addon in the jqt environment is an example of the sort of interactive
environment augmentation that I have worked on. There is a short video  of the
interface at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiPWVhoX1Z8 and also a lab
running through some of the features under the name "jig augmented display".
You seem to prefer the stripped down environment of the console, but I wonder
if it would be able to attract more users, as the console, although very
powerful, does feel a bit old school.

And thanks for the effort of putting your extensive thoughts down on paper. My
experience of the J community is that they will challenge you, but they are
appreciative of the efforts all have put into developing the language - with
your postings you are part of that process.

Cheers, bob