I wrote,

>  Also, trying to name $: (e.g., as selfreference) is hopeless.

I have noted this, at least once, many years ago.  Perhaps I should
elaborate.  All that,

selfreference=: $:

does is to produce a named recursive verb which would cause a stack error
when any argument(s) is provided.  This would not help a "beginner" and it
should be removed from the list of cover words.