>  it does not match my understanding of how standards bodies work

However they work, they don't seem to produce a leading answer to a leading
question.

Before posting my appeal, I googled variants of "ISO computer terminology".
I got the impression there were over 30 ISO committees dealing with aspects
of this topic, including the vexed one of translating computer manuals. I
gave up and asked this forum if anyone could recommend the leading (ISO)
source of common terms, like: platform, program, etc. (…hey! – I've just
reduxed my original post.)

It seems nobody can. I might as well have asked the Freemasons their
meaning of "secret society".

> that does not match my understanding of how language use works

What hope is there of dialog with someone if you don't agree on basic terms?
That's my understanding of how language use works. Or doesn't.

Yet here I am, setting out (…yet again) to talk to non-J initiates about J
– and I want to use words which I know they'll understand, like: variable,
constant, function – and I want to avoid words like noun, verb, pronoun,
proverb – because that's all J mystery jargon.

Don't I need a touchstone of definitions my reader and I will agree on?

To-date I've come up with these candidates:
  (a) The Oxford Dictionary (…nowadays better than I expected it to be,
going by past experience)
  (b) The following site: http://techterms.com
…which is cool. Just what I was looking for. But lacks the authority of an
ISO standard.

Also (…oh no!) I look up a word like: Constant –and I don't agree with what
it says…
  https://techterms.com/definition/constant
In the final para it seems to be describing #define, not: const (…if you
know any C/C++).
Plus no mention of IMHO the chief role of a "constant": to behave
programatically like a variable but preclude reassignment.
Thus scotching the perennial C/C++ bug:
    if (myconst = x) { … }

Also, on the home page, "Today's Quiz Question" is garbled… not a good sign
for something purporting to be authoritative.

Can anyone do better?

…there, now I've described exactly what I'm looking for.