From: Chat <chat-boun...@forums.jsoftware.com> On Behalf Of Gilles Kirouac
Sent: Tuesday, 23 July 2019 8:30 AM
To: c...@jsoftware.com
Subject: Re: [Jchat] Introducing J to Financial & Actuarial Students

William

  I have no experience introducing J in the actuarial field. As others suggest,
try to find one or two problems the audience is familiar with, like a problem
they already solved in Python or R. Then solve it yourself using the J IDE.
While doing this, take the opportunity to expose/reinforce some
characteristics, powerful verbs/modifiers of the language, that will have been
exposed in a few slides before solving problems. Have a problem where J
displays a graph of some input or result.

  The setup is important to me. I do my best to keep a visual contact with my
audience; they should not be tempted to use their laptop to search the web for
anything.

  To that end, I have a second screen where the J Vocabulary is displayed. I
stand in front of the audience or on the opposite side of the Vocabulary
screen. I use a presenter's stand or equivalent to use my kb and mouse. I carry
a led pointer to point to the Vocabulary screen.

  Time is precious. While solving problems, all my statements are pretyped in a
script. With the J IDE, Ctl-R will Run a single line. You may even allow for an
error and show how you recover.

  Be ready to skip much material, while being ready to answer a specific
question with prepared material.

  Your objective should not be to teach, but to raise interest. Do not attempt
to cover the language (which is impossible anyway). Try to convey the fun of
exploring or working towards a solution with J.
Advertise the J forums! Offer your help to department heads.

  Good luck!

~ Gilles