I believe Pépé has an advanced degree in actuarial science but I pretty
sure he remains opposed to teaching people in general about J :)

I'm not sure how J's GUI compares to, say, Shiny for R but a colleague who
has done a little programming put together a pretty nice dashboard using
Shiny in not too long a time.

I have used the J GUI once or twice and recently pulled up an old piece of
code written in it and it mostly worked; I had to make a tweak to hide the
JQt session and there are two other behaviors I'd like to correct but it's
good enough to ship.  So, seems pretty simple to me but I've only done a
simple thing with it.

However, J has no parallel when it comes to typing in small, powerful verbs
and using them with real data, if that's any attraction.  I used J the
other day because a colleague had just spent 10 minutes trying, and
failing, to do something in Excel I did in a minute in J.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 8:09 PM chris burke <cbu...@jsoftware.com> wrote:

> I see J and R as being complementary, i.e. R for its statistical functions
> and J as an expressive application development language that can call R
> directly.
>
> Also I think J's wd interface is probably the simplest way a finance or
> actuarial user could develop a professional quality gui.

Devon McCormick, CFA

Quantitative Consultant