Taken to freenet-chat, for obvious reasons.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 07:09:34PM -0700, Josh wrote:
> Shareware! That may be a better title. It will be open source
> shareware...???
>
> It's really a management issue: I want to advantages of open source, with
> the advantages of management, and I'm convinced I can do it because others
> have.
>
> I know, Ill call it "not open source", and I'll distribute the code!
Open source is a *trademark*. You should really look it up with its owners, at
http://www.opensource.org/.

> As for the "freenet" word, I first head of it back I the 80's. it was the
> internet backbone link into the USSR. It went from east (via japan) to west,
> so as not to come from eurpoe. The "freenet" was used during the attempted
> Gorbachev overthrow, by the anti-communist people. Being commies, their
> bureaucracy was so bad that they didn't even know of the internet link or
> how to turn it off. That's why all those emails made it out during that
> timeframe, because of the "freenet" link. A little known fact is that the
> NSA's listening system was used to pickup then re-broadcast Yeltzin's
> comments (pro gorbachev).
>
> Rumor has it that the original freenet was a CIA idea (information warfare
> tactic), that got tossed to the national sciences foundation.
> The fact is, the internet and the open communication between the young
> Russians and the outside world had a very large impact on the fall of soviet
> communism. In my opinion, the same is inevitable for china. That's my
> attitude toward China is a relaxed one: democracy is inevitable.
Of course, you'll cooperate with Chinese police forces? A single point of
failure from which the entire network can be compromized - a back door built
in to the network for purposes of law enforcement. So anyone who can sue you
can compromize the anonymity of anyone on the network, given that in *some*
courts they will be able to get a ruling in favour, if they push long enough
- i.e. if they have the money. Rather like a totalitarian state in fact.
> I cant wait for them to try to fully implement their internet censorship
> ideas. Oh, that's a disaster in the making.
Fully implement? They don't fully implement anything, like the Taliban. They
reserve special sanctions for special events. They arrest religious folks
randomly to raise cash, not consistently to eradicate religion.
> I can't wait for them to try to impose international law on me. Shit, I'm
> going to move over to the .aq top domain (Antarctica)! (joke)

Always hardwire the explosives
        -- Fiona Dexter quoting Monkey, J. Gregory Keyes, Dark Genesis